I have been taking part in the Capricorn Challenge, where I was challenged to come…
Recently Pilgrims Choice asked me if I would like to get involved in their blogger challenge. Pilgrims Choice have just launched a new range of 80g cheeses called Pick N Mix. The idea of the smaller packs is that you have the choice to try something new and can have two or three different types of cheese to nibble at. I was sent some of the new range and challenged to come up with a recipe using Pilgrims Choice Pick M Mix. The range contains six different flavours, three core flavours, Vintage Cheddar, Smokey Cheddar and Wensleydale and Cranberry and three limited edition flavours, Indian Spice, Firecracker and Apple & Wensleydale. I love a good challenge so I had a good think as to what I could make with the cheese.
I really liked the idea of the Pilgrims Choice with Apple and thought that would make a nice flavour to a cheese sauce. I had some cauliflower and some cod in the fridge so I decided I would try a cod and cauliflower cheese bake. I added some onions and black pepper as well to make it a little bit more exciting.
The result was a quick and tasty supper, the apple added a nice sweet taste to the cheese sauce that worked really well with the cod and cauliflower. I also grated some of the smokey cheddar flavour over the top and grilled it until it was melted. I served the dish with chips. A salad would be nice with it as well for a simple lunch.
The cod made a simple cauliflower cheese a little bit more interesting. I think it would also be nice if a layer of tomatoes was added to the top before sprinkling on the extra grated cheese and then grilling.
Cod and Cauliflower Cheese Bake
- ½ cauliflower
- 500 g frozen cod
- 1 onion
- 80 g Pilgrims Choice Wensleydale and apple
- 80 g Pilgrims Choice Vintage Cheddar
- 25 g butter
- 25 g plain flour
- 1 pint milk
- black pepper
- Chop the cauliflower into pieces and boil for about 15 minutes until tender.
- While the cauliflower is boiling, chop the onion into pieces and fry gently until soft.
- Add the cod to the pan and cook until it is done.
- Pull the cod into pieces and add to a casserole dish with the onion and cauliflower.
- In a pan melt the butter and add the flour. Gradually add the milk, stirring all the time, until the sauce thickens.
- Grate the Wensleydale and apple cheese and add to the sauce. Pour over the cauliflower, cod and onion.
- Grate the vintage cheddar and add to the top of the dish
- Place under a grill until the cheese melts
- Season with black pepper
I was sent the some Pilgrims Choice cheese to help me create a recipe.