My Mum used to make a lovely chicken dish that involved a tin of crushed…
Summer has arrived bringing with it the promise of long lazy days in the garden. It is time to dust off the barbecue and find some recipes to share with your family and friends. Treacle marinated pork chops are sure to get your friends talking. Asian spices and lime juice are used to lift the treacle and add some zing. The pork chops just soak up the flavour.
Lyle’s have launched a limited edition Sticky Summer Black Treacle tin which you will find in shops until the end of July. To go along with the tin and to celebrate the Summer Lyle’s have also created a number of tasty barbecue recipes. Treacle marinated pork chops are one of these recipes. Lyle’s challenge me to have a try at recreating the recipe at home.
Treacle Marinated Pork Chops
Treacle marinated pork chops are really simple to make. The work goes into the marinade. Once this has been done the chops are left to marinade for a couple of hours to take on flavour. The chops then just need to be cooked on the barbecue until they are ready. The grill can also be used if the weather is bad. The taste of the chops might get you thinking that the sunshine has come inside.
A salad can be made to serve alongside the chops. Lyle’s suggested a lively avocado and mango salsa. The salsa went perfectly with the chops. The sweetness of the mango blended well with the avocado and the tang of onions and chilli. The addition of a little lime complemented the marinade on the treacle marinaded pork chops. Tomato salad would also work really well as a side dish with the pork chops.
Over the last few weeks I have been trying to sort out the garden. The lack of decent weather meant it was really overgrown. The garden is now reasonably tidy apart from one corner. This corner is where the raspberries are growing. Raspberry canes are popping up everywhere including the middle of the lawn. I suspect I am going to have another bumper crop this year.
A bird table has also been added to the centre of the lawn. This is providing great entertainment. A lot of the same birds keep coming back. An enormous wood pigeon is a frequent visitor. He spends most of his waking moments strutting round the table eating food. I worry that one day he will be too fat to fly away. All we need now is some sunshine and we can have a barbecue. These treacle marinated pork chops will be perfect.
Treacle marinated pork chops recipe
Treacle marinated pork chops
- 2 tbsp Lyle’s black treacle
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- zest and juice of 1 lime
- 1 red chilli
- 1 tbsp chopped lemongrass
- 4 spring onions
- 1 tbsp grated root ginger
- 4 pork chops
- salt and black pepper to season
- Chop the lemongrass, spring onions and chilli into small pieces
- Put the Lyle’s black treacle, olive oil, lime zest and juice, chilli, lemongrass, spring onions and ginger into a bowl and mix together.
- Season the pork chops with salt and pepper.
- Add to the bowl with the marinade and make sure they are well coated.
- Cover and leave for two to three hours in the refrigerator.
- Preheat the barbecue or grill
- Cook for four to five minutes on each side until done, basting with the marinade.
I served the pork chops with mango and avocado salsa which adds a lovely summery taste to the whole meal.
Mango and avocado salsa
- Zest and juice of one lime
- 1 tsp finely chopped red chilli
- 1 small onion
- 1 ripe mango
- 1 ripe avocado
- Peel and chop the chilli, mango, onion and avocado.
- Mix together in a small bowl with the lime zest and juice
Do you have any favourite barbecue recipes? Let me know below, I am always looking for new ideas.
I received some barbecue goodies and a shopping voucher to enable me to try the recipe. My opinions are my own.