If you remember a few weeks ago I went on a long walk with my…
The last few days it has felt like Autumn has arrived. The morning starts with fog, wrapping it’s tendrils hazily around the trees and smudging the street lights making them glow mysteriously in the early morning light. The ground is damp underfoot and covered with leaves. They have started to fall from the trees which are displaying different colours, some gold, some orange, some red and some still green, defiantly clinging onto the last days of Summer.
Foggy damp days are made for soups, the warming smell pervading the house as it simmers gently in the pan. Simple to make and with many different varieties, ideal as a starter or as a meal in itself. Served in a bowl with crusty bread it warms you though and makes you feel comforted. Potato Soup, made from a glut of potatoes, grown in my vegetable garden are perfect for making a warming Autumn soup.
It uses several root vegetables that are coming into season at this time of year, carrots, onions and potatoes and with the addition of cheese and bacon makes a fulfilling meal by itself. It has a creamy taste which is perfect when soaked into some warm bread with butter melting on the slice. A little black pepper sprinkled over the top is the perfect addition.
The soup is simple to make, the only hard part is chopping up the vegetables and blending them to the perfect consistency. The vegetables are simmered in stock until tender and blended. A little milk and cream is added to make the consistency perfect and a hearty lunch is ready.
Fortunately potato soup recipe makes a large pot of soup, enough for several bowls full. This was needed as the family came back for seconds having enjoyed the soup so much. It made the perfect lunch, warming and filling as well as tasty.
Why not have a look at my other soup recipes.
Potato Soup Recipe
- 6 slices of bacon
- 1 onion
- 3 carrots
- 3 stalks of celery
- 6 potatoes
- 1.1 litre 2 pints vegetable stock
- 3 tbsp flour
- 285 ml ½ pint milk
- 140 ml ¼ pint cream
- salt and pepper for seasoning
- grated cheese
- In a big pan add a little oil and cook the bacon until crispy. Remove from pan and cut into little pieces.
- Chop the onion, celery, carrots and potatoes into small pieces and add to the fat in the pan. Cook gently for a few minutes.
- Add the stock and seasoning and simmer for about ten minutes until the vegetables are soft.
- Whisk the flour and milk together and add to the soup. Cook for five minutes.
- Place the soup into a blender and blend until it is the right consistency. You may need to do this in several batches.
- Add the soup back into the pan, warm though and stir the cream in.
- Season to taste.
- To serve add the soup to the bowl and then add a sprinkling of bacon bits and some grated cheese.