There is nothing nicer on a cold day that a nice bowl of soup to…
Sausage and bean soup is a quick and easy soup to make. Full of flavour it is perfect for a cold day or weeknight. Why not try the recipe?
Are you looking for a warming and soup that is easy to make? Something to fill you up on a cold day? This sausage and bean soup is perfect. It is ready in half an hour and is something the whole family will enjoy. Why not read on and get the recipe and make it today?
- How to make sausage and bean soup
- Ingredients needed
- Steps to make sausage and bean soup
- How can I store sausage and bean soup?
- Can I freeze the soup?
- Can I make the soup in a slow cooker?
- Sausage and bean soup recipe
- Looking for more soup recipes? Why not try these?
The weather has been miserable recently. We are being battered by storms and the cold wet weather makes me wonder if Spring will ever come. If you venture out you end up cold and soaking. In this weather even the dog wonders why I want to take him for a walk. On days like this there is nothing nicer than a heartwarming soup to fill you up.
Sausage and bean soup is the just the sort of satisfying soup you need to fill you up. It is full of taste and flavour, with plenty of vegetables making it healthy. The sausages add a depth of flavour and the spices bring out a subtle warmth. It is like a hug in a bowl. Serve with crusty bread and it makes a perfect lunch.
How to make sausage and bean soup
These are the ingredients you need to make sausage and bean soup. Scroll down to get a complete printable recipe.
- Sausages – choose a nice meat sausage. I used Powter’s award-winning Newmarket Pig sausages.
- Beans – A can of mixed beans works well but if you are not able to find these then a can of cannellini or kidney beans will work well.
- Vegetables – Red pepper adds a sweet flavour and red chilli packs a spicy punch.
- Garlic – This adds a little flavour
- Olive oil – you need a little in the bottom of the pan to cook the vegetables.
- Chicken stock – A stock cube in boiling water works well. You can use vegetable stock instead if chicken is not available.
- Herbs and spices – Oregano adds a little flavour whilst paprika adds some spice. Add some salt and pepper to season the soup.
I chose Powter’s Newmarket Pig sausages as they are made from the finest cuts of British pork and taste delicious. As well as the Newmarket Pig they have a range of different flavours, including Grumpy Pig, Prize Pig and Chilli Pig. They are available in Tesco, Morrison’s and Sainsbury’s as well as selected delis and farm shops. RRP £3.00 for a pack of six.
To find your nearest stockist or to get more information visit: www.powters.co.uk
Steps to make sausage and bean soup
This is a really easy soup to make and well worth the effort.
Cook the sausages: You can cook the sausages under the grill following the pack instructions. Alternatively you can fry them gently in oil until they are cooked through. Once they are ready cut into small pieces and set aside.
Peel and chop the vegetables: Peel the onion and garlic and chop into small pieces. Chop the pepper and the chilli removing the seeds.
Saute the vegetables: Add some oil into a pan and add the onion. Cook until soft then add the garlic and chilli. After a couple of minutes add the red pepper.
Add tomatoes and stock: Add the tomatoes, stir for a minute then add the stock.
Add the rest of the ingredients: Add the rest of the ingredients except the sausages. Simmer and stir for twenty minutes until it thickens.
Put in the sausages: Chop the sausages into small circles and add to the soup. Add a little extra stock if the soup is too thick. Cook for a couple of minutes until warmed through and serve with crusty bread.
How can I store sausage and bean soup?
You can put it into an airtight container. It will keep in the fridge for two or three days.
Can I freeze the soup?
Yes, the sausage and bean soup freezes well. You can store it in one large pot or divide it into individual portions before freezing. It will keep for 2 – 3 months in the freezer. Make sure you label the storage pot with the date and what the contents are.
When you want to serve it you can defrost it in the microwave or in a pan on the stove. If you are not in a rush leave it in the fridge overnight to defrost. Make sure it is warmed through thoroughly before serving.
Can I make the soup in a slow cooker?
Yes, of course you can. Here are the instructions:
Grill the sausages until they are cooked. Chop into small pieces and set aside. Add the rest of the ingredients to your slow cooker and stir.
Cover the slow cooker and cook for 4 to 6 hours on high or 8 hours on low. An hour before the end of cooking stir in the sausages.
Sausage and bean soup recipe
Sausage and bean soup
- Non-stick pan
- Wooden spoon
- Sharp knife
- Measuring Jug
- tin opener
- 1 packet sausages
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- ½ red chilli seeded and chopped
- 1 red pepper diced
- 400 g can chopped tomatoes
- 400 g can mixed beans
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 200 ml chicken or vegetable stock
- salt and pepper to season
- Heat your grill to medium and cook the sausages according to the pack instructions.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick saucepan and tip in the onion. Fry gently for 5 minutes until softened, then add the garlic and chilli and cook for 2 minutes.
- Tip in the red pepper and continue to cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes to the pan, stir for a minute then pour in the stock.
- Continue stirring and tip in all the other ingredients apart from the sausages. Cook for 20 minutes until the soup thickens. Season to taste.
- Slice the sausages and add to the soup. Add a little more stock if its too thick.
Why not pin the recipe for later
Looking for more soup recipes? Why not try these?
Easy Mushroom Soup
An easy to make mushroom soup that is perfect for a light lunch or a first course.
Get the recipe: Easy mushroom soup
Butternut Squash and Ginger Soup
This butternut squash and ginger soup is full of taste and flavour. The ginger will help boost your immune system and keep colds at bay.
Get the recipe: Butternut squash and ginger soup
Northumberland Ham Broth
This is a filling dish that is also perfect as a main meal.
Get the recipe: Northumberland ham broth