Recently I was challenged by Flora to come up with a budget family recipe that…
I often find that I am cooking the same dishes for my family because I am comfortable making them and know they work. The trouble is that this can get a bit boring and my son will say “not that again, mum”. When you are working all day the last thing you want to do is try a new recipe. At the weekend I decided to try something new. Recently I have been experimenting with chorizo sausage, it’s spicy flavour adds a nice barbecue taste to a dish. I decided to try it in a chicken casserole with some chickpeas and see how it turned out.
I was very pleased with the result, it was a gorgeous casserole full of flavour and it was also really quick to make. You could easily make this in advance and warm it up later when you get in from work as a quick and easy meal. I ate mine with salad but my son and husband both had mash. It would also work well with rice. The casserole has a definite smoky flavour which reminded me of summer barbecues on the patio. The meal was a success and I have been asked to make it again in the future.
Smoky Chicken Casserole
- 3 chicken breasts
- 4 rashers of bacon
- 100 g chorizo sausage
- 1 onion
- 1 red pepper
- 400 g can chopped tomatoes
- 300 ml chicken stock
- 410 g can chickpeas
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Add the olive oil to a pan. Chop the bacon into pieces and fry for a few minutes.
- Dice the chicken and chorizo sausage and add them to the pan. Cook until the chicken is sealed.
- Chop the onion and red pepper and add to the pan. Cook on a medium heat until the onions are soft.
- Add the tomatoes, chicken stock, sugar and chickpeas.
- Simmer for 30 minutes until the sauce thickens and the chicken is cooked through.
- Season with salt and pepper
It was a lovely family dinner and definitely one to try again.