I love pork chops but sometimes I find they can be a little dry. I…
In Autumn there is nothing nicer than a warm casserole based dish for dinner. There is something comforting about eating a warm meal with mash and vegetables while the wind blows round the house outside. A meal bursting with flavour takes the edge off a grey day and adds a splash of colour.
Recently we managed to find quite a lot of apples and I have been looking for recipes to use them. I made an apple and blackberry strudel which was lovely. I wanted to try and make something more savoury. My mum makes a lovely dish using pork chops, apples and oranges but sadly I do not have the recipe. I decided to try and recreate it.
The result was full of flavour, you could taste the burst of apple and orange while worked fabulously with the pork. I think if I tried this again I would add some flour to make a slightly thicker sauce with a gravy consistency. The sauce has a lovely orange tang and when mixed with mashed potatoes takes them to a different level.
Pork Chops with Apples and Oranges Recipe
- 4 pork chops
- salt and pepper
- 64g (3 oz) apples
- 32g (2oz) raisins
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 200ml (50 fl oz) orange juice
- 200ml (50 fl oz) water
- 1 orange
- 1 onion
- Brown the chops in a pan, then place in a casserole dish and season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat the oven to 200C, Gas Mark 6 400F
- Chop the onions, core and peel the apples and chop into small pieces.
- Cook the onions in a pan until softened.
- Add the water and orange juice to the pan and bring to the boil.
- Stir in the apple, raisins, and cinnamon and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour the liquid over the chops, cover the dish and cook in the oven for forty minutes
- Uncover the dish, add the orange slices to the top and cook for a further twenty minutes.
I served with mash and a selection of mixed vegetable.s