Chicken, Leek, Prune and Caerphilly Pie is the perfect warming meal on a cold day.…
Did you know it was National Pie Week? Neither did I until I spotted a lot of pie related activity going on. To mark the occasion I had to make a pie, it would have been silly not too. When I make a pie I normally make a sweet pie like apple. This is because I have no decent pie dishes and the lid of a casserole dish makes a great substitute. They are also very easy to make, usually you just add fruit and sugar to the pastry. I wanted to try a savoury pie this time so decided to try using the casserole dish instead. I wasn’t sure that it would work but I was very pleased with the results.
I choose to make a chicken and leek pie as these ingredients were in my fridge. I did think making a savoury pie might be difficult and time consuming. I was pleasantly surprised, making the filling was easy and then after the pie crust was added it only took 20 minutes to cook. It was much more flavoursome that pies you buy ready made in shops. I will definitely be making the effort to make more of my own pies in future, and will even get some decent pie dishes.
The family were very impressed with my chicken and leek pie, it was clean plates all round and my son wanted more. Even the dog tried to get some but he had to make do with his dog food.
Chicken and Leek Pie
- 3 chicken breasts
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 30 g butter
- 2 leeks
- 6 mushrooms
- 3 tbsp plain flour
- 200 g cream cheese with garlic and herbs
- Pack puff pastry
- Add the chicken to a pan and just cover with cold water. Crumble in the stock cube and add the thyme. Bring to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Cut the chicken into pieces, keeping the stock to one side.
- Chop the leeks into strips and the mushrooms into small pieces.
- Melt the butter in a pan and add the leeks and mushrooms. Cook on a low heat until soft.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the flour
- Add the stock and gently heat, stirring all the time until it thickens.
- Add the chicken and stir in the cream cheese.
- Season to taste.
- Add the mixture to a pie dish.
- Preheat the oven to 200C, Gas Mark 6.
- Roll out the pastry to make a lid and place it on the pie dish.
- Place in the oven for 25 minutes.