This week is National Breakfast week. After creating my brunch Scrambled Eggs I decided it…
Easter is on the way and that means the Easter bunny will be bouncing around delivering chocolate eggs. Recently the Happy Egg Co got in touch and sent me a signed copy of Eric Lanlard’s Totally Chocolate cookbook which features chocolate recipes galore. They also sent me recipe that he has specially created for the Happy Egg Co, Eric Lanlard’s Peanut Butter and Chocolate Egg Cups. Loving a challenge I decided to do my best to recreate the recipe.
Be warned the Peanut Butter and Chocolate Egg Cups are filled with chocolate. A dark chocolate exterior is cracked away to reveal a dreamy chocolate mousse with hints of peanut. It is really rich and a little goes a long way. The egg cups are the perfect container for serving them, it gives just the right amount of chocolate goodness. If you do not have a sweet tooth then this is not for you.
There is a slight degree of skill in making these peanut butter and chocolate egg cups. Making the mousse itself is simple, it is just a question of melting chocolate and whisking egg whites. The skill comes in getting the mousse into an egg cup. A piping bag would be ideal for this, but my piping bag had gone astray. I had to spoon the mousse in and do the best I could with a knife. I did manage to make a fairly good egg shaped mousse which I left to set.
Covering with the chocolate is slightly more messy. I left the chocolate to cool after I melted it but it still managed to drizzle down the edges of the egg cups. I added some sprinkles to make them look a little bit more pretty. Despite their lop-sided appearance they did taste lovely.
They do also look a little bit like they are going to walk off into the sunset in these egg cups. I have no idea where I got the egg cups from, they are one of those things that have been in my cupboard for many years. They always make me smile when I have an egg in them. If you are looking for egg recipes, you can find this and plenty of others on the Happy Egg Co website. If you are wondering what the original recipe looks like this is a picture, do you think mine are close?
Eric Lanlard’s Peanut Butter and Egg Cups
- 120 g dark chocolate
- 30 g smooth peanut butter
- 3 Happy Egg Co eggs
- 50 g golden caster sugar
- 100 g dark chocolate
- 25 g salted peanuts sugar strands or edible confetti
- Separate the eggs and put the whites and yolks in different bowls
- Melt 125g dark chocolate in a basin over boiling water.
- When it has melted add the peanut butter, sugar and egg yolks. Stir until smooth.
- Whisk the egg whites until they form stiff peaks.
- Gently fold the egg whites into the chocolate mixture.
- Transfer into a clean bowl, cover with clingfilm and put in the fridge to set for at least three hours.
- When the mousse is firm pipe into egg cups and use a knife to shape into an egg shape.
- Place back in the fridge for a couple of hours.
- Melt the rest of the chocolate in a basin over boiling water.
- Leave to cool. When it has cooled drizzle the chocolate over the top of the mousse.
- Decorate with sugar sprinkles and chopped peanutes.
I was sent the recipe and a recipe book in order the try out the recipe.