Butternut squash and ginger soup is a tasty and delicious soup. It is full of…
Recently I have been seeing different recipes for Butternut Squash appear on a number of blogs. I have to admit butternut squash is not a vegetable I use very often, the strange shape it has does not inspire me to pick it up. I am not sure why really as the taste is actually delicious, it is similar to pumpkin but slightly more nutty. It also has a lot less seeds inside which makes preparing it much easier.
I spotted some butternut squash while I was shopping the other day and decided I was going to give the soup a try. The good thing about butternut squash is that the whole of the vegetable can be eaten, including the seeds. These make a really nice snack roasted up with a little salt and pepper. I decided to make a really simple soup just using butternut squash, an onion, a couple of potatoes and vegetable stock.
Butternut squash is a winter squash so the skin is much harder than that of a summer squash like a courgette. The hard skin means it can be stored as it keeps well. It is also full of vitamins A and C which makes it very nutritious. I was very pleased with the butternut squash soup, it was really tasty as well as being simple to make. My husband actually said that soup was amazing, a good indication it is worth making again. Next time I think I will double the quantities and freeze some for when I want a quick warming lunch.
Butternut Squash Soup
- 1 onion
- 1 large or 2 small potatoes
- 1 medium butternut squash
- 2 pints 1.1 litre vegetable stock
- salt and black pepper to season
- Olive oil
- Peel and chop the onion.
- Cut the potato into chunks.
- Peel and remove the seeds from the butternut squash and chop into chucks.
- Add a tablespoon of olive oil to a pan and gently cook the onion for a couple of minutes.
- Add the potatoes and butternut squash to the pan and cook gently for a minute.
- Add the stock and simmer for forty minutes.
- Blend using a hand blender or pour into a food processor until smooth.
- Season with salt and black pepper to taste.