Spaghetti bolognese is one of those meals that everyone knows how to make. There are…
I love spaghetti and meatballs in a tomato sauce, it is a filling and warming meal with a sense of comfort about it. Famous as the dish that is shared by Lady and the Tramp in the famous Disney film. The two dogs accidentally find themselves eating the same strand of spaghetti and end up sharing a kiss. My dog is a great lover of spaghetti as well and holds his mouth open to suck a strand in. He just needs a lady to share with.
Normally I buy ready made meatballs and a jar of pasta sauce as I make it for a quick meal after work..This weekend I decided I would try a home made version and see if it made any difference to the taste. While it does take longer to make it is worth it, the flavour is much more intense and full of flavour. You could double the recipe and put some in the freezer for a quick supper on another day. The dish is really simple to make, most of the effort goes into making breadcrumbs and chopping garlic. Once the meatballs are made it is just a case of simmering them until they are ready.
While I served mine with spaghetti the meatballs would also go nicely with rice or just fresh crusty bread. A green salad or a tomato salad in vinaigrette dressing would also complement the dish perfectly.
Spaghetti and meatballs
- 500 g lean minced beef
- 2 garlic cloves
- 100 g white breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon garlic and chilli flakes
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 egg
- 2 x 500g cartons passata
- handful rosemary
- salt and black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Chop the garlic into small pieces.
- Add the minced beef, garlic, breadcrumbs, chopped rosemary, chilli and garlic flakes and paprika to a bowl.
- Season with salt and black pepper.
- Mix together then break in the egg. Mix thoroughly then shape into meatballs. You should get around 12.
- Place the meatballs on a plate, cover with cling film and leave to cool in the fridge.
- Add the passata to a pan and add some more rosemary. Bring to the boil and remove from heat.
- Add the olive oil to a frying pan and gently brown the meatballs.
- Place the meatballs into the tomato sauce and cook on a low heat for an hour, stirring gently.
- When nearly ready boil a pan of water and add the spaghetti.
- Cook spaghetti according to the directions on the packet.
- Serve some meatballs and sauce on top of the spaghetti