In Autumn there is nothing nicer than a warm casserole based dish for dinner. There…
- 50 g of shredded suet
- 1 onion
- 175 g oatmeal
- Salt and pepper
- A pinch of mace
- Melt the suet in a pan.
- Peel and chop the onion and cook gently in the pan until soft.
- Add the oatmeal, salt, pepper and mace and cook until the oats are slightly brown and have absorbed the fat.
- 2. Stir in the oatmeal, season and cook gently for 10 minutes.
Apples in Maple Whisky Sauce
Apples with a Maple Whisky Sauce
- 150 ml vegetable stock
- 50 ml whisky
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 onion
- 2 apples
- Peel and chop the onion
- Add to a pan with some oil and fry gently till soft.
- Add the stock and boil for a couple of minutes to reduce.
- Add the maple syrup, mustard, whisky and lemon juice and bring back to the boil.
- Core the apples and cut into slices.
- Add the apples to the sauce and cook gently until the apples soften, but are not mushy.
- Serve the apples with a sprinkle of the sauce. If preferred the onions can be served as well but I just served the apples.
Have you ever tried Skirlie? I would love to know.