The other day I was sent some vinegar and mustard products by Maille. I love…
I am a big fan of mushrooms, if I had my way I would add them to everything. They are so versatile and are great in stews and other casseroles. When NetMums asked me to get involved in their campaign to love mushrooms I knew it would not be too difficult a task. I suspect I may be a mushroom addict.
I was sent a selection of recipes to try and I picked a Bacon, Egg and Mushroom Salad. I have never thought of adding mushrooms to a salad and I was interested to see how well it worked. It turned out to be a good choice. It was a weekend when I made it, it turned into a dramatic weekend. My husband went to the walk in centre for an ear infection. The nurse who saw him sent him straight to the hospital as when he measured the amount of oxygen in his blood it was showing too low. My husband then had to wait around in the hospital for hours while they carried out endless tests. It turned out to be a false alarm fortunately but while I was waiting for updates I was able to prepare the bacon, egg and mushroom salad. When I picked him up we were all starving and the meal was just ideal. We all loved the salad, and the raw mushrooms just completed it perfectly.
The cherry tomatoes mixed with the bacon and egg made the salad a bit different than your normal salad, it would be perfect as a brunch on a sunny day. I also found the vinaigrette dressing worked really well and brought out the taste perfectly. The original recipe had croutons sprinkled over the top which I completely forgot about, I did sprinkle over some black pepper instead which was nice.
Bacon, Egg and Mushroom Salad
- 4 eggs
- 8 rashers back bacon
- 1 bag rocket or mixed salad leaves
- 1 Romaine lettuce
- 200 g mushrooms
- 12 cherry tomatoes
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice or white wine vinegar
- 2 tsp wholegrain mustard
- 4 tbsp croutons
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Boil the eggs for about 8 minutes until they are hard boiled, plunge into cold water and leave to cool.
- Cut the fat off the bacon and grill until crisp. Drain on kitchen paper
- Shred the Romaine lettuce and mix with the rocket or salad leaves. Arrange on four plates.
- Slice the mushrooms and halve the tomatoes and share amongst the plates.
- Peel and quarter the eggs and divide between the plates.
- Make the dressing by mixing the olive oil, lemon juice or vinegar and whole grain mustard. Season with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle the dressing onto the salad then snip the bacon into small pieces and put on top of each plate of salad.
- Add croutons and serve
This is a meal I will definitely be making again, but in rather less dramatic circumstances.
“I am a member of the Netmums Blogging Network, a unique community of parent bloggers from around the UK who have been handpicked by the Netmums team to review products and brands on their behalf. I have been paid expenses and supplied with a product sample for this review but retain all editorial control.