Sausage and bean soup is a quick and easy soup to make. Full of flavour…
Baked bean lasagne is a delicious and easy meal that can be made from store cupboard ingredients. It is low in calories as well so perfect if you are on a diet.
There are always times when there has been no chance to go shopping and the hungry family need a meal. What do you do when these times occur? Have a search though your store cupboard and see what you have in. The contents of packets and tins often come together to create delicious meals.
Baked bean lasagne is one of these recipes. Made using ingredients from the store cupboard it can be put together quickly and left to bake. The oven will work its magic creating a delicious meal to feed the family. Serve with a side salad for a tasty dinner.
Baked Bean Lasagne
Baked bean lasagne is a dish that I discovered when I was a student. When you are a student you do your best to look for cheap budget dishes that fill you up whilst being tasty and quick to make. Often you need dishes that will feed a crowd for little money.
Pulses such as lentils and beans are great fillers and can be made into a variety of tasty dishes. Lentil soup or lentil stew are two of these survival dishes. They are really cheap to make, perfect when you are coming to the end of a term and are running short of money.
Everyone is familiar with lasagne. Who hasn’t made this Italian dish, delighting in the layers of pasta, meat and mix of tomato and bechamel sauce. Lasagne is always a crowd pleaser and the hot steaming dish makes a great centre piece on the table.
Baked bean lasagne is made with baked beans in the place of meat. Adding passata to the baked bean sauce adds flavour making for a delicious meal. Baked beans are naturally high in protein and fibre as well as being low in fat. This makes baked bean lasagne a great dish if you are dieting. It will keep you feeling full whilst being low in calories.
How to make baked bean lasagne
Baked bean lasagne is really easy to make. First you need to peel and chop an onion and two cloves of garlic. Deseed and dice a red pepper. Heat some oil in a pan and gently cook the garlic, pepper and onions until they are soft. Add a tin of baked beans and a tin of chopped tomatoes into the vegetable mixture with a pinch of herbs
Next make the cheese sauce. Melt some butter in a pan and stir in some plain flour until you get a smooth paste. Gradually add the milk, stirring all the time. The paste should blend into the sauce and once it gets hot it will thicken. Add some grated cheese into the sauce and stir till it melts.
Get an oven proof dish. A rectangular dish works best as the lasagne sheets are rectangular. Preheat the oven to 180C whilst you layer up the lasagne.
Put a third of the baked bean mixture into the bottom of the dish. Top with row of lasagne sheets. Add more of the bean mixture and half of the cheese sauce. Add another row of lasagne then top with the rest of the cheese sauce. Sprinkle with grated cheese.
Pop into the oven until golden and bubbling. This will take about 45 minutes. Serve with a side salad.
Can you prepare baked bean lasagne in advance?
You can make the baked bean lasagne ahead of time. Layer it up ready to cook and then put it in the fridge. It will be fine in the fridge for up to twelve hours so you can prepare it a day ahead.
Can I reheat baked bean lasagne?
Leftovers will keep in the fridge for up to twenty four hours. When you reheat make sure it is hot all the way through. You may need to add a little water to keep it moist.
Can you freeze baked bean lasagne?
Yes you can. Allow the lasagne to cool completely before packing it in foil or a freezer bag. It can then be frozen for up to three months. Make sure you defrost the lasagne completely before cooking. Ensure that it is thoroughly reheated before serving.
Baked Bean Lasagne Recipe
This tasty baked bean lasagne does not take long to prepare and get into the oven.
Baked bean lasagne
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 red pepper
- 400 g tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 tins baked beans
- 1 tsp mixed herbs
- 25 g butter
- 25 g plain flour
- 300 ml milk
- 75 g grated cheese
- 1 tsp mustard
- 10 sheets lasagne
- black pepper for seasoning
- Peel and chop the onion and garlic into small pieces.
- Remove the seeds from the pepper and cut into small slices.
- Heat some oil in a pan and gently cook the onions, garlic and pepper until they are soft.
- Add the tomatoes and baked beans into the pan with the herbs.
- Set to one side.
- In another pan make the cheese sauce.
- Melt the butter in a pan and gradually add the flour to make smooth paste.
- Add the milk a little at a time whilst stirring to make a smooth sauce
- When the sauce bubbles and thickens stir in the cheese letting it melt
- Remove from the heat
- Preheat the oven to 180C, gas mark 4
- In an oven proof dish add a third of the bean mixture
- Top with sheets of lasagne then add more bean mixture and half the cheese sauce
- Add another layer of lasagne and pour the rest of the cheese sauce on the top
- Sprinkle some grated cheese on top
- Bake for 40-45 minutes until golden brown and bubbling
Tasty variations on the recipe
- To make a spicy version add a teaspoon of chilli powder or chilli flakes into the tomato sauce. Alternatively chop up a fresh chilli and add it when you cook the onions.
- If you have any leftover vegetables why not add them into the bean mixture. This uses them up and prevents food waste. Tinned sweetcorn or frozen peas also work well
- If you want to add some meat to the recipe chop up some ham or add some cooked diced bacon to the bean mixture.
Why not pin the recipe to make later?
Other recipes to try
Home made baked beans
It is really easy to make your own baked beans and they taste so much nicer. Why not make a big batch and use some to make the baked bean lasagne?
Get the recipe: Home made baked beans
Barbecue baked beans
These barbecue baked beans are really tasty and make a delicious change from ordinary baked beans. These would add extra flavour to the baked bean lasagne.
Get the recipe: Barbecue baked beans
What are your favourite tasty and delicious budget recipes? Let me know below.