Do you find that you keep making the same dishes with mince? I have been…
Do you write a meal plan? I sit down before I go shopping every Saturday and write a list of what I am going to be eating that week. I then have a look in my cupboards to see what I have in and anything I need goes on the list. It usually works quite well, but this week I failed. I planned to have a beef stew for one of our meals, but realised that I hadn’t bought the casserole mix. I use a casserole mix as it is much easier to mix it together and throw it in the slow cooker in the morning before work. I am usually so busy rushing around it means I save a few minutes. I had to quickly come up with an alternative. I ended up making a beef goulash which was thrown together with what I had in the cupboards. It actually ended up being really tasty and I thought I would write the recipe down before I forgot it.
The dish worked perfectly in the slow cooker, but could also be made in a casserole dish or in a pan on top of the hob. While not a traditional goulash as I didn’t have any peppers to add to it, it was a very satisfying meal. I served it with chips and mangetout and managed to get a quick snap before it was devoured. My husband has requested I make this again soon so it was definitely a success. Sometimes experimental meals work really well.
- 500 g/1lb stewing steak cut into chunks
- 1 medium onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- sea salt and black pepper
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 200 ml/7fl oz beef stock
- 400 g tin chopped tomatoes
- 3 tbsp paprika
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons mayonaise
- Chop the onions and garlic and add to the slow cooker or casserole dish
- Chop the stewing steak into chunks and place in slow cooker.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato purée, paprika, chilli powder to the dish.
- Mix the flour and beef stock together to form a paste and stir into the dish.
- I left it to cook in the slow cooker on medium for about six hours. You could also put the casserole dish in the oven at 200C for an hour and a half.
- Just before serving stir the mayonnaise though the casserole.
This would also be really nice served with rice and a side salad.