Rhubarb and walnut cake is a delicious way to use rhubarb. The tart rhubarb blends…
- 280 g 10oz plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- pinch salt
- 225 g 8oz caster sugar
- 225 g 8oz butter
- 4 eggs
- 110 g 4oz glace cherries
- grated rind of 1 lemon
- 225 g 8oz sultanas
- 110 g 4oz currants
- 30 g 1oz candied peel, chopped
- 340 g 12oz marzipan
- Preheat the oven to 180°C,350°F, gas mark 4.
- Grease and line a 20cm (8 inch) cake tin with baking parchment.
- Cream the butter and sugar until soft, add the lemon rind.
- Add the eggs and mix together.
- Fold in the flour, baking powder and salt to the mixture.
- Chop the cherries in half and add them with the sultanas, peel and currants to the cake mixture.
- Place half the cake mixture into the cake tin.
- Take about a third of the marzipan and roll it into a circle. Place in the cake tin on top of the cake mixture.
- Add the rest of the cake mixture on top of the marzipan, making a well in the centre so it rises evenly.
- Wrap some newspaper around the cake tin to insulate it from the heat, it can be secured with string.
- Bake in the oven for two hours then reduce the heat to 150°C 300°F gas mark 2. Bake for a another 30 minutes, until a skewer or knife placed into the centre comes out clean.
- Allow to cool.
- Put aside a small amount of the marzipan to make the balls to decorate the cake.
- Roll the rest into a circle and place on the top of the cake. You can use a little apricot jam to secure it to the top of the cake.
- Make eleven marzipan balls and place them around the edge of the cake.
- Preheat a grill and place the cake underneath it. Carefully brown the marzipan.