Carrot and apricot flapjacks are perfect for a tasty snack with a cup of tea.…
I love baking and usually spend time baking with my son at weekends. He loves flapjacks so I was interested to see this competition from White Lily Green where Sainsburys are challenging you to come up with a new twist on flapjacks. I decided to try making some coconut and cherry flapjacks. I know that my son loves cherries, whenever I buy a tub for cake making he pinches them. I thought that the coconut would add a little moistness to the flapjacks and together they would be a nice combination.
This is the recipe I followed (some ingredients are a bit random as I threw them in and guessed the amount later)
- 75g (3oz) butter, softened
- 75g (3 oz) brown sugar
- 100g (4oz) rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons golden syrup
- 1 tablespoon coconut
- 100g cherries (or more if you love them)
- Put butter in bowl and beat until creamy
- Mix sugar and oads and gradually work into creamed butter until blended.
- Add the syrup, coconut and cherries and mix in.
- Press into 18c square tin and smooth top of flapjacks.
- Bake in preheated oven at 220C 425F Gas 7 for 15 mins until golden brown.
I was very pleased with the result, the flapjacks were lovely and moist and the cherries really went well with the coconut. They did not last long, my son demolished a fair few as soon as they were cool. I am going to have to make some more soon.