Poached eggs are not something I have ever mastered. I know the general idea, boil…
I love egg on toast, it is a quick and easy breakfast. It is easy to make a small variation and make the dish look special and visually appealing. I do this by using a cookie cutter or a knife to create a shape in the bread, putting the egg inside the hole and cooking in the oven. It is easy to fit a few slices of bread on a baking tray and it is a meal children can easily make themselves.
For this creation I used knife to cut a heart shape.
The bread can also be fried but I found this can often end up with the toast being burnt on one side as the egg takes a little while to cook. My son was delighted with his breakfast, he thought it was unusual but I think he would have preferred a star rather than a heart.
Baked Egg In Toast
Serves 1, Increase ingredients for more people.
- 1 egg
- 1 slice of bread
- Butter or margarine
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 F, 200 C, Gas Mark 6
- Grease a baking tray with butter or margarine
- Butter a slice of bread and place it on the baking tray. You can add more slices if required.
- Get a cookie cutter or knife and use it to create the desired shape in the centre of the slice of bread. Place the cut out shape on the tray as well
- Crack egg into a bowl and then pour it gently into the hole in the centre of the bread.
- Place the baking tray on the top shelf of the oven and bake for about 10 minutes, until the eggs are the way you like them.
- Serve on a plate with the cut out shapes.