I am a big fan of mushrooms, if I had my way I would add…
The other day I was sent some vinegar and mustard products by Maille. I love Maille mustards and use them a lot, but I didn’t realise Maille had a range of vinegars as well. In this bottle was a blend of vinegar and fig purée which instantly made me think Mediterranean sunshine. Looking on the Maille website I found that they actually have an extensive range of different vinegars which are blended with things like citrus, wines, honey and nuts, fruit and vegetables and fruits and berries. As well as vinegars they also have oils, pickles and salad dressings which I will have to look out for.
Also in the package were two different types of mustard, mustard with white wine, lemon and garlic and mustard with white wine and basil. RRP £4.95. The mustard with white wine and basil was the perfect accompaniment for my Sunday roast beef, the basil made it taste that little bit more special. I wanted to create something using all the Maille ingredients and a salad with a vinaigrette dressing sprung to mind.
I created the dressing using the Maille fig vinegar and the mustard with garlic and lemon. It had a lovely sweet taste that needed something savoury to complement it. I came up with a green bean, bacon and egg salad, which is loosely based on a Salade Niçoise.
The sweet vinaigrette dressing complimented the salad perfectly. You could also add some tomatoes and olives if you wanted to make more of a meal of it. I served it on the side with a pasta bake and it was really lovely. It was also easy to make. You do need to leave a little time for the eggs and beans to cool so it is best made ahead of time.
Green Bean, Bacon and Egg Salad
- 250 g 9 oz green beans
- 3 medium eggs
- 5 rashers bacon
- 1 tsp maille mustard with white wine garlic and lemon
- 2 tsp maille fig vinegar
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- Put the eggs in a pan of water and boil until hard boiled. Leave to cool.
- Chop the ends off the green beans and put in a pan of boiling water. Boil for five minutes then drain and leave to cool.
- Cook the bacon in a frying pan until it is crispy, leave to cool.
- Mix the oil, vinegar and olive oil together to make a dressing.
- Place the green beans on a serving plate.
- Peel the hard boiled eggs and cut into sections. Arrange on the plate with the beans.
- Cut the bacon into small pieces and add to the plate.
- Drizzle with the vinaigrette dressing.