Home made baked beans are really easy to make and taste delicious. Make them from…
Home made fish cakes are really easy to make and taste delicious. Read on to get the recipe.
I love fish cakes, they are a lovely filling dish which are great served with salad and sauces like tartare sauce or ketchup. For a more substantial meal they can be served with chips and peas, or even bought from the chip shop.
On a cold wet day there is nothing nicer than a hot parcel of wrapped fish and chips from the chip shop for tea. If you have left over mashed potato fish cakes are a great way to use them up. The mashed potato is combined with the fish, made into a ball and covered with breadcrumbs. The finished cakes can be fried or baked in the oven. They make a lovely enjoyable dinner.
Fish cakes can be made with any fish. I used a mix of cod and smoked haddock. For a more upmarket fish cake you could use salmon on its own. Different herbs and spices can be used to add flavour, you can go as wild as you like. Try chilli for a hotter fish cake or chives, rosemary and thyme for a more traditional fish cake. The combination is up to you.
With my fish cakes I tried the new Heinz Tomato Ketchup with 50% less sugars.. Some of the sugar in the ketchup has been replaced by stevia. This is a plant from South America which has naturally sweet leaves. The extract from these plants is more sweet than sugar, 300 times sweeter in fact, which makes it ideal to use as a sweetener . Heinz Tomato Ketchup with 50% less sugars still tastes great but contains 50% less sugar and 25% less salt which makes it a healthier option. It was also the ideal accompaniment for my fish cakes, the tomato taste mixed perfectly with the taste of the fish.
The fish cakes went down well with the family who really enjoyed them. Although they did take a little while to make it is worth making your own as the taste is so much nicer. The fish cakes can be made and left in the fridge for up to 24 hours before you cook them. You could make them on a Sunday and have them ready for a quick tea on a Monday when you get in from work.
Home Made Fish Cakes
Home made fish cakes
- 75 g potatoes
- 300 g cod
- 100 g smoked haddock
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp chives
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp rosemary
- 1 large egg
- 50 g fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp paprika
- Peel and cut the potatoes into chunks. Place in a pan cover with water and bring to the boil. Simmer until the potatoes are soft but not falling to bits.
- Drain the potato, mash and place in a bowl.
- Season with salt and pepper
- Place the fish in a pan, cover with water and bring to a boil. Simmer for a few minutes until the fish is cooked.
- Drain the fish in a colander and break into chunks, removing skin and bones.
- Add the fish to the bowl with the potato.
- Add the lemon zest to the bowl.
- Chop the herbs into small pieces and add to the bowl.
- Mix the potato mixture together and shape into four balls.
- Flatten the balls into a fish cake shape.
- Beat the egg in a separate bowl and dip each fish cake into the egg, making sure it is well covered.
- Add the breadcrumbs and paprika into a bowl and mix well.
- Roll the fish cake in breadcrumbs and place on a baking tray covered with baking parchment.
- Preheat the oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7
- Spray the fish cakes with oil and bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes until golden
I was sent the Heinz Tomato Ketchup with 50% less sugars in return for an honest review.
For more fish recipes why not try Italian tomato baked cod, which is quick and easy to make and very tasty.