I love mushrooms, I buy them every week and add them to lots of different…
It always struck me as strange that supermarkets sell sauce mixes for cheese sauce. Cheese sauce is one of the simplest things that you can make and you only need cheese, milk and flour. It is one of those things that once you know how to make it is very versatlie and can be used in loads of recipes from lasagne to cauliflower cheese to macaroni cheese.
Last night I made some Macaroni Cheese, simply because I fancied it and thought I would share the recipe. It is a really simple and tasty recipe and once you have mastered the basic idea you can add other things to it, like bacon, peas or tomatoes as the mood takes you. I added some bacon as I had some in the cupboard.
- About 150g Macaroni
- 1½ oz butter
- 1 pint milk
- 1½ oz plain flour (about a dessert spoon full)
- 9 oz grated cheese (adjust to your taste)
- 5 slices of bacon
- 2 tomatoes
- Cook the macaroni in boiling salted water for about 8-10 minutes, drain and add to a casserole dish.
- While this is cooking cook the bacon in a frying pan until crispy. Cut the slices into small bits and add to the casserole dish. Mix with the macaroni.
- Now make the cheese sauce. Melt the butter in a saucepan.
- Add the flour and mix until it is all mixed and slightly thick.
- Now add the milk slowly, a little at a time, stirring all the while. If you keep stirring you will eventually get a smooth, thick sauce.
- Add the cheese to the sauce and stir gently until it melts. Keep a little cheese aside for the topping. You can add more cheese if you want a cheesier sauce, I taste and see at this point.
- Pour the cheese sauce into the casserole dish and mix well.
- Add sliced tomatoes to the top of the dish and cover with grated cheese.
- Place under a pre-heated grill and cook until the cheese on top melts and goes brown.
This is the finished result.
I possibly needed a little bit more cheese on the top but I have to say it was very tasty. This can be served as a comforting main meal on its own or with salad and green vegetables depending on how you feel.
Disclosure: I made Macaroni Cheese because I felt like it.
Other posts you may be interested in: