American style pancakes with maple baked bacon are perfect for a delicious brunch or breakfast.…
Have you remembered Pancake Day? It’s on Tuesday 21st Feb this year, which is next Tuesday. I thought I would share a pancake recipe with so that you had some time to go shopping for the ingredients. I know if I forget my son will never let me hear the end of it, so I shall be stocking up with the essential ingredients this weekend.
Pancake day is really Shrove Tuesday. It is the day before the start of Lent, which is a Christian festival leading up to Easter. We eat pancakes on this day because during Lent it is traditional to abstain from certain foods and pancakes contain fat, butter and eggs which are forbidden. Making pancakes is also a good way to use up these ingredients before Lent starts.
The recipe I use here is a scotch pancake recipe, it makes smaller pancakes than the more traditional ones but I find these much easier to make. They are also very tasty.
- 100 g (4 oz) self raising flour
- 15-25 g (½ – 1 oz) sugar
- 1 egg
- 150 ml (¾ pint) milk
- Add the flour and sugar to a bowl, add the egg and half the milk and mix until smooth.
- Add the rest of the milk and mix well until bubbles appear on the surface of the mixture. It should look like this. I poured the mixture into a jug to make it easier to make the pancakes.
- Preheat a frying pan with some oil in.
- Drop spoonfuls of batter into the pan to make small pancakes about 10cm (4″) round. I actually poured the mixture using the jug as you can get them the right size more easily.
- When bubbles appear on the surface of the mixture you need to turn the pancakes and cook for a further ½ to one minute until they are golden brown.
- Remove from the pan. You can stack them on a plate and cover with a clean tea towel to keep them warm while you cook the rest.
How you serve them is entirely up to you. I served them for breakfast with maple syrup. They are also delicious with butter and jam. This is the finished result.
I have to say they were really nice. Will you be making pancakes this pancake day? If so what toppings are you going to be having?
Other posts you may be interested in: