I went a bit mad baking this weekend, as well as making Blueberry Muffins my…
I had some great plans to make some magnificent chocolate cupcakes for Easter. My plan was to make the cakes then use flakes and mini eggs to create a little birds nest on the top. It sounded a good plan so I set out to make the cakes using a simple recipe which follows:
- 5 oz ( 150 g) butter
- 5 0z (150g ) caster sugar
- 5 oz self raising flour
- 1 oz cocoa powder
- 3 eggs
- Mix the butter and the sugar and mix until fluffy
- Add the rest of the ingredients and whisk until they are blended together.
- Put into cupcake cases and bake in a preheated oven at 180C, 350F, Gas Mark 4 for 20 minutes.
When I took them out of the oven they looked like this:
Now for the second part of my plan, to ice them and to add the decoration. I decided to do a chocolate fudge frosting but with hindsight I think I should have done a buttercream icing as it would have made the mini eggs and flake easier to place on top.
- 3½ oz (100g) plain or milk chocolate
- 2 tablespoons of milk
- 2 oz (50g) butter
- 3 0z (75 g) icing sugar
- Melt the butter and chocolate in a pan and stir in the milk.
- Stir in the icing sugar until it is smooth. A little tip, sift the icing sugar before you use it or you may end up with large lumps in the icing.
- While it is warm spread on top of the cupcakes.
This is how they turned out in the end:
Not quite the little Easter nests I envisaged but I have to say they did taste delicious.
Other posts you may be interested in: