I thought the other day that I really do not cook using fish often enough.…
The other day I made fish and chip pie but found I was left with rather a lot of prawns. I wanted to try something with them other than a prawn cocktail so I had a hunt though my cupboards to see what I had that I could possibly use in a recipe. I found I had a packet of risotto rice lucking in the back of the cupboard I had forgotten about. I also had two lemons, I bought three on offer but had only used one for a different recipe. I decided to try out a prawn risotto and see how well it worked.
I was actually very pleased with the finished result, the combination of flavours worked very well together and it was a nice fresh tasting dish. The prawns were not overpowered by the risotto and the lemon juice complimented the whole dish perfectly. This is the recipe:
- 400g (14 oz) cooked prawns
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red pepper
- 0.8 litres (1.5 pints) vegetable stock
- 1 onion
- 300g (10 oz) risotto rice
- 200g (7 oz) peas
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- Heat the olive oil in a pan.
- Chop the onions and add them to the pan and cook until they are soft.
- Add the risotto rice to the pan and stir it until it looks a little shiny.
- Add the stock a little at a time, wait until it has absorbed then add a bit more. The rice will absorb it gradually.
- Add the peas and cook for 20 minutes until the rice is soft and the liquid has absorbed.
- Stir in the prawns, red pepper, lemon juice and lemon zest.
Serve and enjoy.