When I was a child my parents took me to America. On the flight we…
When I saw a recipe challenge on Foodies 100 to create original breakfast recipes using Almond Breeze unsweetened almond milk I just had to get involved. Almond Breeze is a milk alternative made from almonds. It contains 60% less calories per serving than skimmed milk, has no added sugar, no cholesterol and is really low in saturated fat so it is also a healthy alternative.
I would be quite happy to have the milk poured over cereal as it actually does taste nice. Unfortunately that is not much of a breakfast recipe and kind of defeats the purpose of creating an original breakfast recipe.I started thinking up ideas and decided to try making raspberry muffins and french toast with the Almond Breeze. They actually turned out very nicely. Here are the recipes
Raspberries are just coming into season. I haven’t had any for a long time, I usually buy strawberries instead. These were so nice I ended up munching on them straight from the packet and it took a lot of will power to save some for the recipe.
- 10 oz (300 g) plain flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 oz (125 g) caster sugar
- 2 oz (50 g) butter
- 4 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 3 eggs
- 5 oz (150 g) Almond Breeze almond milk
- 7 oz (200 g) fresh raspberries
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla essence
- Put the flour, baking soda and sugar into a bowl and mix together.
- Melt the butter gently in a saucepan and pour into the dry ingredients.
- Add the eggs, vanilla essence, and almond milk and stir gently until they are just combined.
- Add the raspberries and stir gently or they will fall apart turning the mixture red.
- Divide the mixture between 12 muffin cases and place on a baking tray. You may get a few more or a few less depending on the size of the muffin cases.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 200C (400 F, Gas Mark 4) for 15 minutes until the tops have cracked and turned golden brown.
- Leave to cool and then enjoy
The raspberries from a very sweet juice like mixture in the middle of the muffin and you can taste a hint of almond from the almond milk which works nicely. This is how they turned out and I have to say the whole family enjoyed them.
French Toast is one of those things that you can have as a very indulgent breakfast or supper. I normally make mine with just egg but I decided to try adding a bit of almond milk to the mixture. I am sure everyone knows how to make French Toast, but just in case you don’t here is the recipe. This made four slices, you can double the ingredients if you want to make more.
- Two eggs
- Half a cup of almond milk
- Teaspoon of mixed spice or cinnamon
- Four slices of thick bread
- Sugar or Maple Syrup to serve
- Mix the eggs, almond milk and cinnamon together in a bowl that is big enough to dip the bread into.
- Melt the butter in a frying pan.
- Dip the bread into the egg mixture taking care to coat both sides.
- Place in the frying pan and cook on both sides until golden.
- Sprinkle with sugar or maple syrup to serve.
I sprinkled ours with sugar and this was the final result.
Definitely a gorgeous breakfast treat and the almond milk added a very nice hint of sweetness to the mixture which I really liked.
Other posts you may be interested in: