When the weather is hot I never really feel like eating very much. Hot meals…
Warm Mexican turkey salad is a tasty and easy recipe to make. A lovely twist on a traditional salad
I am not sure why I do not cook with turkey more. It is easily available and tasty but it is also good for you. It is high in protein which our bodies use for growth and repair. Cooked turkey contains 34 g of protein per 100g which is ¾ of an adult’s recommended daily allowance. It also has lowest saturated fat level when compared to other meats, at less than 1g per 100g (4oz) portion. I may have to start eating it more.
The idea is that the recipe has to be really quick and easy to prepare. It should take no more than 30 minutes in total. I decided to create a Warm Mexican Turkey Salad. It is the Summer so we should be eating more salad, but given the weather we have been having I thought a warm salad might be appreciated. This took me about 25 minutes to prepare, some of the time was used to take photographs though.
Warm Mexican Turkey Salad Recipe
- 500g (18 oz) turkey breasts or fillets
- ½ tsp hot chill powder
- 1 tbsp paprika
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 red onion
- 300g can cannellini beans
- 2 tomatoes
- 125g (4 oz) mixed baby salad leaves
- 4 oz tortilla chips
- 150 ml (¼ pint) sour cream
- Chop the red onion into small pieces. Chop the tomatoes into wedges. Mix with the cannellini beans, tomatoes and salad leaves in one big bowl.
- Mix the chilli powder and paprika in a bowl.
- Cut the turkey into strips and toss in the mixture of chilli and paprika
- Warm the oil in a pan. Add the turkey to the pan and stir fry until golden, this takes about ten minutes.
- Add the turkey and the tortilla chips to the salad and mix well. Serve on individual plates and add the sour cream to the top.
My son was very taken with this salad, when I gave it to him he was delighted that there were tortilla chips included. His plate was soon cleared!